Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy at the Old Fruitmarket


Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Images by Ross Gilmore

Will Oldham, better known by his stage name Bonnie Prince Billy last played at Celtic Connections in 2007, I missed that one, so I was determined to get to this show. 

I can’t remember being at The Old Fruitmarket and ever seeing an audience so hushed with anticipation, beginning with 'Lion Lair’, the amazing Angel Olsen complemented every song with beautiful harmonies along with Emmet Kelly.

It was great to hear 'I See Darkness’ albeit a slightly more upbeat version. Unfortunately I could not stay to the end, and missed the song by Bakersfield country singer Merle Haggard, I was informed later that I had missed one of the best moments of the entire evening.

It was the highlight of the Celtic Connections so far for me, hope they get him back next year.
I will have to make do with His latest album, 'Wolfroy Goes To Town' and this classic from Viva last Blues, I have a very scratched copy of this packed away in my basement..


No comments:

Post a Comment